Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Secret Life of Kamui Kobayashi

BMW Sauber’s Kamui Kobayashi will be the subject of intense media scrutiny at his home Grand Prix this weekend. But before he gets hit with a barrage of predictable pre-race questions, we thought we’d get in there with a few less predictable ones. Want an F1 driver who can cook anything, except maybe carrots? Or one who fears the world might end in two years’ time? Or one with as many tattoos as wheels on his car? Then Kobayashi is your man…

Q: Are you a plan-B kind of guy?
Kamui Kobayashi: Not really. Once I find the right plan for me I follow that plan.

Q: Driving an F1 car aside, what is your favourite buzz?
KK: Holidays. I am always waiting for holidays!

Q: Whom do you most look forward to seeing when you arrive in the paddock on a Thursday?
KK: The car - I’m always waiting for an update. And I have a look around what others have brought.

Q: Who is your dream date?
KK: There is nobody really. Probably it would be me, on holiday, without phone and internet…

Q: Which film has made you cry?
KK: The Shawshank Redemption, the prison film with Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman. For years it’s been considered the best film ever made. I’m sure I saw it five times.

Q: What are you afraid of - and why?
KK: 2012. According to the Maya calendar something dramatic will happen on our planet.

Q: What was the last book you read?
KK: I don’t like reading books.

Q: What is your favourite way to relax?
KK: Going to the beach.

Q: Name five things that you hate?
KK: Carrots, cold, dirt.

Q: Have you ever - or would you ever - dye your hair?
KK: Yes, I always do it. We Japanese have too black hair so dying your hair lighter is a kind of people’s sport in Japan.

Q: What was the first CD that you bought?
KK: Japanese music, but I cannot remember the name.

Q: Do you have any tattoos or piercings?
KK: I have four tattoos. They don’t have a deeper meaning - I just liked the design. I am always curious about things, always have to try new things.

Q: What did teachers say about you in your school report?
KK: He is a very sporty pupil, but he’s not so much into studying.

Q: Who were your childhood heroes?
KK: I never had a hero.

Q: Do you have any guilty pleasures?
KK: I don’t have any I guess. Shopping was probably one in the past, but now I refrain from that habit…

Q: What do you miss most about home when you are on the road?
KK: My bathroom.

Q: What was your worst buy?
KK: I cannot tolerate alcohol, but many times I order five or six bottles of champagne in a restaurant. And I used to buy a lot of clothes.

Q: How do you take your coffee?
KK: I’ve stopped drinking coffee.

Q: Your ideal non-race Sunday morning?
KK: If it is sunny, I try to get some sun - I need the sun to feel well. Probably go for a picnic.

Q: What was the first car or machine that you drove?
KK: A Toyota when I was 18 years-old. I bought it even before I had my driving license.

Q: What was the most embarrassing mistake that you’ve made?
KK: This year in Canada on my first lap. I don’t want to remember that. (Kobayashi crashed out).

Q: What is the best thing you can cook?
KK: Everything. You name it and I am sure I can cook it - even without any experience. We have the internet and the internet shows you anything. I have cooked in the motorhome for a number of people.

Q: When was the last time you were really furious?
KK: After the race in Hungary I arrived at the airport at 11pm and I saw my flight had been cancelled. I was on my way to Tokyo and that made me almost go berserk.

Source: Formula1.com

No comments: