Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Rosberg: I hoped for more in 2010

Mercedes' Nico Rosberg has admitted that he expected more as he joined the reigning World Champion team this season. Having achieved two podium finishes in four years at Williams, the German son of 1982 World Champion Keke has achieved three rostrum results this year but lies only seventh in the Drivers’ Championship.

Whereas the team formerly owned by Honda enjoyed double title-winning success under its Brawn GP guise in 2009, 2010 has proven to be a difficult campaign for the silver arrows, which look set to repeat Ferrari’s feat of 12 months ago by finishing fourth overall as outgoing Champions.

“I’m very happy about the comparative results with my team-mate but I admit that I did hope for more,” Rosberg told Autosprint magazine, with fellow German and 7-time World Champion Michael Schumacher the equivalent of more than two race wins and one third place behind in the points table.

“When I signed the contract, I thought my team-mate was going to be Button and that was fine; then I heard that Jenson would be leaving and so I just hoped a quick and experienced driver would join me.”

Nico went on to confess that he was initially unsure over Schumacher’s link-up with a former managerial colleague of Benetton and Ferrari.

“I didn't know Michael in person but I knew about his long friendship with (Team Principal) Ross Brawn, so of course I didn't know if that was going to effect my situation,” he said, “but, in reality, it’s all been for the best.”

With Pirelli tyres possibly signalling a clean sheet for the entire field in 2011, Rosberg now hopes to significantly reduce the margin next season. “I want to fight for the title,” he began to sum up. “At the end of the day, the objective for any racing driver is to win the Formula 1 World Championship and I'm no exception.”

Source: GP Update

No comments: