Sunday, October 17, 2010

Webber won't take his foot off the gas


Mark Webber is adamant that he is only thinking of victories between now and the end of the season, despite his 14-point lead in the drivers' championship.

The Red Bull star insists that he will not rest on his laurels, and that nothing less than wins will be good enough in the final three races, starting with the inaugural Korean Grand Prix next weekend.

"No, I can't think like that [about playing the percentages]," Webber said. "It won't be enough. I need to keep racing hard and going for victories.

"Clearly, of course, if my rivals have a rough weekend it makes it a bit harder for them and it gives me a bit more scope, but I'm not looking to abuse that because it can all go pear-shaped very fast.

"Having a lead is great, but it only counts when you get to the last race and we haven't got there yet, have we?"

The Australian played down his chances by claiming that he does not see himself as the favourite for the title. "It makes no difference to me to be in the lead," he said. "We all have to go there and see the track and get on with the job and it is the same for everyone. I may be in the lead, by a few points, but I don't think I am the favourite.

"I think we're all pretty even. It can change pretty quickly - in a good way or a bad way for me. It's on a knife-edge, but I'm very relaxed. It's another race for me.

"I'll give nothing, leave no change on the table and do the best I can. The points will look after themselves. Like I said, you need to be leading the championship at the last race, not now."

Source: ESPNF1

No comments: