Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Vettel Diaries: 'Hard on the softs'

A trying day for Sebastian Vettel after the Red Bull Racing driver’s practice session was disrupted by a puncture. But he’s determined not to feel too flat about it

'The lesson for today is that sometimes, things don't go as planned - I didn't plan on getting a flat tyre right at the beginning of the practice session, but what can I say? Shit happens!

Because of the flat we had to go out on the soft tyres earlier than planned and at a period when the track had no grip at all. I’m not concerned about the times we set today but obviously I would have preferred not to have run on soft tyres for so long.

Oh, and despite what I said yesterday, I don’t think the flat was down to a discarded nail, I think it’s more likely to have been a piece of debris from one of the cars. Either way, my tyre was cut open and there wasn't anything that I could do about it.

The whole track is tight and a real challenge - but as a driver learning new tracks is a great experience.

Even on softs, the track got better towards the end of the practice session. Our biggest challenge is that we're still not the fastest on the straights and need to get back as much time as possible in the turns. But Mark had a trouble-free day and proved that we do have pace here.

Talk to you tomorrow.'

Sebastian

Source: RedBull

No comments: