Sunday, September 26, 2010

McLaren eyes Vettel but Button wants to stay

Amid reports McLaren would sign Sebastian Vettel, Jenson Button has pledged the rest of his Formula One career to the British team.

Team boss Martin Whitmarsh said recently he tried to sign the young German at the end of 2007, and will try again once his Red Bull contract expires in 2012.

"I know Ferrari and Mercedes, too, would have him," Red Bull's Christian Horner said in Singapore.

"But we want him for the long term. He is the future."

Reigning world champion Button joined Woking based McLaren this season and admitted this weekend that his teammate Lewis Hamilton has been better at the wheel of the MP4-25.

But he said on Saturday: "I can see myself finishing my career at McLaren.

"I want to be in a team that gives me a chance of fighting for a championship and that is exactly what McLaren have done this year.

"I know I will always get a fair crack of the whip here," added the 30-year-old.

Source: Motorsport

No comments: