Sunday, August 1, 2010

Räikkönen: I'm not comparing myself to other drivers

Kimi Räikkönen is in a special situation, he has been able to test his skills on the top level of both circuit and rally racing.

F1 champion Räikkönen says that he has no need to prove his multitalent to the public or to other drivers. He just wants to see how high he can reach in rally.

-I actually haven't thought about the whole multitalent thing. I've never been too interested about what other people think of my abilities, Räikkönen says to STT.

There have been other Finnish drivers in the past who have been able to succeed at both the circuit and rally. But unlike Räikkönen they were never able to drive a top car in both F1 and WRC.

One of these multitalented drivers was WRC race winner Henri Toivonen who would have had an opportunity to make a career in formula cars as well. Toivonen was killed in an accident at Corsica's WRC rally in 1986.

-I don't compare myself to other drivers but I've heard that Toivonen drove small small formula cars really fast. Unfortunately his rally career was left short, Räikkönen remembers.

”Some day on the top of rally”

Multitalent or not, Räikkönen gives the impression that he's serious about rally. He wants to learn and get closer and closer to the elite of the sport.

-Of course I knew that succeeding in rally will be difficult. I didn't expect to just suddenly do well. Hopefully some day we can drive at the very top, Räikkönen says.

In rally learning often happens through mistakes but Räikkönen hasn't shown signs of giving up. A good example of that was Rally Finland where he just kept going after driving out. He wanted to continue so that he would gain experience from the roads of the Finnish WRC rally.

-Of course it would be great to some day do well in rally as well but there's still a lot to learn.

Source: MTV3
Courtesy: Dracaena

No comments: