Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Secret Life of Robert Kubica

He’s Polish; he’s driven for BMW Sauber and Renault; in five seasons on the Formula One grid he’s scored one win, 11 podiums, one pole position and 226 points; and many tip him to be a future world champion. These are just some of the things you probably do know about Robert Kubica. Now find out a few you don’t, with the help of the latest installment in our Secret Life series…

Q: Are you the kind of guy to have a ‘Plan-B’?
Robert Kubica: No, not really. I always hope that my original plan will work perfectly, or at least not end up in smoke. So no ‘Plan’B’ for me.

Q: Apart from driving a Formula One car, what is your favourite buzz?
RK: Rallying. Nothing more than that!

Q: Who do you most look forward to seeing when you arrive in the paddock on a Thursday?
RK: My engineer. He tells me about the phenomenal upgrades and how the car has improved.

Q: Who is your dream date?
RK: There are so many sports people that I have a huge respect for, so I would have to name so many, but to call them ‘dream dates’ would be a bit much. And I am not into that Hollywood thing about meeting stars.

Q: Which film last made you cry?
RK: I am not a film guy. I even cannot remember when I was last at the movies or watched a film from beginning to end on the TV.

Q: What are you afraid of?
RB: Deep water. In the middle of the sea I don’t feel comfortable. And helicopters as well. They are not my thing.

Q: What was the last book you read?
RK: Gomorrah, which is a book about the criminal clans in Naples and Campania.

Q: What is your favourite way to relax?
RK: Just chilling out at home - when I am at home. Doing very little and hanging out in front of the TV. I just chill out in a simple way.

Q: Name five things that you hate?
RK: Cars which are difficult to drive, traffic, milk, butter and people who are late.

Q: Have you ever dyed your hair?
RK: No, and you can be sure that I will never consider it!

Q: What was the first CD you bought?
RK: Oh, I can’t remember. It must have been a tape though, as my parents had a company producing tapes.

Q: Do you have any tattoos or piercings?
RK: No! You can refer to my answer about dying my hair.

Q: What did your teachers say about you in your school reports?
RK: The main topic was that I was nearly never there because I was travelling to kart races. I missed quite a lot of hours at school so I think the teachers hardly knew me. At the beginning I tried to catch up with learning at home but later, when my racing intensified even more, I had a parallel education.

Q: Who were your childhood heroes?
RK: When I was karting it was a kart driver by the name of Daniel Rossi. He was the guy I had posters of on the walls of my room.

Q: Do you have any guilty pleasures?
RK: No, not really. I loved to ski but as soon as I started racing in Formula Three and signed a contract with some companies, I had to stop. At the beginning that was quite painful. Now it is no longer a problem.

Q: Do you collect anything?
RK: No, I am not a real collector. I just have a small collection of scale models of rally cars - not many. I also have three normal scale rally cars, but I wouldn’t call that a collection.

Q: What do you miss most about home when you are on the road?
RK: The feeling of being at home. Even if we stay in great hotels and have nice rooms it is not home. It is anonymous. I simply miss my things, my stuff.

Q: What was your worst buy?
RK: Oh, I have not bought many things actually. Lately I bought a cell phone and used it for exactly half an hour and then I realized that it was a nuisance.

Q: How do you take your coffee?
RK: I don’t drink coffee.

Q: Your ideal non-race Sunday morning?
RK: The best would be to wake up quite early and do a run or use the bike. The air early in the morning is so fresh and clean. I often put on my alarm. It rings, my hand reaches out for the clock and still dozing I press the stop button and go back to sleep. So much for the early morning fresh air!

Q: What was your first vehicle?
RK: I got my first vehicle when I was four and a half years-old. My parents bought me a miniature version of a jeep in the scale of 1:4 or 1:5 with a three-horsepower engine and two gears. My motorsport career started that very day.

Q: What’s the most embarrassing mistake you’ve ever made?
RK: There’s nothing particular that I remember. And if there was then I’d try to learn from it and then it would stop being embarrassing. When I think back there have never been big negative moments in my life. I think I was always within the rules of society and my surroundings.

Q: What is the best thing you can cook?
RK: I frequently cooked for myself when I was in karting. Simple things, like barbecue, always taste much better than in a restaurant. It’s probably because you have invested so much time preparing it that you don’t dare to not like it.

Q: When was the last time you were really angry?
RK: Furious? That’s not me. I was upset in Silverstone and Budapest, but then things like that happen. I am probably a well-tempered person.

Source: Formula1.com

No comments: