Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Kimi Räikkönen in SPOX interview: ”Vettel is the nicest guy of them all"

The quiet Finn called his retirement from Formula 1 still as a "time out" and leaves it open whether and when we will see him back on the grid. Currently he enjoys to drive rally.

In SPOX Räikkönen talks about his fashion line, the rally Germany and his friend Sebastian Vettel.

SPOX: Mr. Raikkonen, what is it like to be a rally driver? What is different from Formula 1?
Kimi Räikkönen: It's simple: everything. They are two entirely different disciplines. In Formula 1, the conditions for testing or training is quite the same, here everything (in the conditions, ed) changes. Imagine testing the car even at -25 ° C.

SPOX: Sounds crazy, so you like it....
KR: Yes, I love it! It is a new challenge for me, the biggest of my racing carer. It is very, very exciting.

SPOX: That means, the Formula 1 fans are never again going to see you in a GP car?
KR: I would not say that. We'll see. First, let's take this season to end and then clarify some things. Then we'll see.

SPOX: Speaking about driving – is it actually easier for you to do asphalt rallies?
KR: Although I have driven in F1 many years, it does not help really, because the asphalt on permanent lines is completely different than the road surface here in the World Rally Championship. The dimensions are different, change the surface itself, the roads are bumpy and the grip levels are sometimes lousy. Around the next corner again it can be completely different. That's not the case in Formula 1.

SPOX: At the Rally Germany, you have landed at place seven. Satisfied with the result?
KR: Yes, Germany was in Formula 1 never a good ground for me, at the weekends everything never went well. It is good that in rally driving it now seems to be better. I actually just wanted to finish the race and gain experience.

SPOX: You didn't take anything good out of F1?
KR: Well, there were three great, unforgettable years at Ferrari and I won the World Championship crown with them. The time at McLaren was also great, although unfortunately never could together win the title. But now I am just a rally driver.

SPOX: What makes Ferrari so special?
KR: It is full of traditions, but also full of emotions. My time in Maranello was an intense mixture of incredible joy and difficult moments that we have welded together as a team, as a family. I'm not really the compatible type with the Italians, but we found a common emotional basis. I have always given everything for Ferrari and they have returned it to me many times, even with my departure. There will always be great memories ...

SPOX: You have won nine races there. Which was the best victory?
KR: There were three victories that stand out: That was of course the first, 2007 in Melbourne, you can't have a better debut. Then my last success at Spa, when I won with an inferior car. And especially the victory at Interlagos, with whom I've become world champion.

SPOX: Allegedly that Renault will bring you, as a partner for Robert Kubica and other teams from here (F1, Ed) where also after you ...
KR: If I wanted to continue (in F1, Ed) it would not have been a problem. But I was really not that exited about any of the offers (I got, Ed) that I would have been immediately interested to commit. Therefore I have decided to go rallying for now.

SPOX In the current F1 salaries list you are still the third highest paid driver ...
KR: I still have a contract with Ferrari.

SPOX: Is it true that Pirelli wanted you to be their test driver for the 2011 tires?
KR: About that you have to talk to Steve (Robertson, Raikkonen's manager, Ed)

SPOX: You see the formula one now from the outside. What bothers you about the premier class?
KR: In Formula 1 there are too many things more important than the race. It is too political and no one says what he thinks, because he is afraid, it is taken out of context.

SPOX: Do you still check out Formula 1 racing?
KR: Hardly, some starts and highlights. I also hardly have any contact with the other drivers. Sometimes I play badminton with Sebastian Vettel.

SPOX: Can he win the title in 2010?
KR: I think so. But above all he is the nicest guy of them all.

SPOX: You recently published a fashionserie. How did that happen?
KR: My friend Uffe's a great designer who has already designed my helmets. My own style is important to me and therefore we thought to work together to do something. So we have now launch these new caps and some clothes. I hope people like them because it is what I like - cozy and yet cool.

Source: Spox.com
Courtesy: Julia

No comments: