Monday, August 16, 2010

Rally Japan 2010: Special Interview with Kimi Räikkönen

Questions for Kimi Räikkönen

-This is the first year for you to join WRC. Could you tell me how do you feel so far?
"So far I have a very nice feeling with the WRC and everybody has been very welcoming. But of course I knew from the beginning that it would be an extremely tough transition from Formula One and that has certainly been the case. You just cannot compare the two things. However, step by step I am learning and slowly everything we have taken on board since the start of the year is beginning to come together. So I am feeling quite happy; quite confident."

-What brought you to change your career to WRC?
"The WRC was always something I wanted to do at some point in my career, because I have been a rally fan since I was a kid actually. Last year, the circumstances meant that it was the right opportunity to finally do it ? but it was something that I have always been interested in."

-Could you tell us about the difference between F1 and WRC?
"It's like talking about the difference between night and day. There are so many things that are different that it's almost impossible to know where to start. The characteristics of the cars and surfaces are extremely different and also another huge difference is that in rallying you have a co-driver and pace notes to work with. It's basically a completely different sport and a completely different world".

-Please tell us the most impressive race and episodefor you when you were a F1 racer.
"I don't know...there were lots. To be honest it's not something I even think about so much. But I suppose the Brazilian Grand Prix in 2007, when I won the World Championship, is one that I will always remember. Basically we had to win to get the title, which is exactly what we did, in a very difficult race. So that was a good memory."

-Please tell us how you change your moode betweenthe races?
"There's nothing special; I just spend time with friends and family like most people do. That's what I do to relax. Then I've got my boat that I go out on sometimes. But mostly I like to be doing things; I don't like to be sitting still."

-Is there anyone you admired when you wereyoung? If any, who and why?
"No, not so much. I was always more focused on my own career. But looking back in the past, I always liked the character of James Hunt in Formula One and in rallying I have always admired Tommi Makinen, who is still a good friend of mine now. All these guys are really good drivers but they know how to have fun as well."

-A lot of fans of you are expecting you to comeback to F1. Do you have any consideration of it?
"For the time being, I have not decided that: I always wanted to give myself enough time to experience rallying properly before drawing too many conclusions about the future. But OK, soon I will begin to think about it. The only thing I can really say for the moment is that I am enjoying myself in rallying and I haven't really missed Formula One. If I missed Formula One I would be out there doing it."

-Please give your message to Japanese fans!
"I have always liked the Japanese fans: they are so enthusiastic about motorsport and they know so much about it too. I like the country and the food as well: sushi is one of my favourite things. I won the Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka in 2005 and this is a really good memory. I don't know so much about the rally though, although people tell me it's going to be quite difficult!"

Source: Sprope.com
Courtesy: maki

No comments: