Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Vettel: I love F1 and I always did as a small kid


There has been much talk during the course of the season about Sebastian Vettel’s future beyond his Red Bull contract which comes runs until the end of 2014, with Ferrari the obvious next stop, but the recently crowned double F1 world champion says he is very happy where he is right now and is very much in love with the sport.

Vettel told media during his homecoming celebration in Heppenheim, “As for me, I’m very happy where I am. I think we’ve achieved a lot together in the last three years. We were able to raise our game in more or less all areas. The whole team has become more professional, more committed and everyone is working hand in hand for success.”

Vettel became the youngest ever double F1 world champion when he clinched the title in Japan.

“I think it’s been an extremely successful year again. It’s just incredible what we have achieved. It’s the small things, like coming home and opening the door, which make you realise what happened and that all the hours have paid off. The season is not yet over though. We have three more races to go and the chance to prove ourselves again,” mused the German.

The 24 year old is fast to acknowledge the role of the Red Bull team in his success, “It’s not usual to be a part of something like that, and I don’t see myself in a position to say this is what I have done. This is what they have done. We are a team and we are happy to do all we do.”

He has scored 10 victories already this season, with 12 pole positions and 15 out of 16 podiums, but admits he is always learning, “It’s always a difficult question to know where to improve. I think, being 24, there are a lot of areas to understand, a lot of bits inside and outside the car. You always need to be ready to learn, and small steps can make the difference. When I look at Korea, we were able to learn from Japan – both the team and myself.”

“I care about the sport, I know its history and the numbers. I like to see from time to time my name somewhere, but I don’t set myself targets about the number of wins or stuff like that. I’m not racing for statistics. I’m a big fan of the sport. I love Formula 1. I always did as a small kid and that hasn’t changed,” concluded vettel who will out to score his eleventh win of the season when he lines on the brand new Buddh International Circuit grid for the inaugural Indian Grand Prix.

Source: YallaF1

No comments: