Thursday, July 14, 2011

Mark Webber column

Welcome to the second of my columns for the BBC Sport website, where I will be discussing Formula 1 and other issues across the world of sport

By Mark Webber Red Bull driver and BBC Sport columnist

I'm not going to get any prizes for guessing what you all want to read about this week, am I? My team's decision to ask me not to try to pass Sebastian Vettel in the other Red Bull in the last four of five laps of the British Grand Prix.

I chose to race as hard and as fair as I thought was possible, trying my best to beat Seb. I got pretty close a couple of times but couldn't quite pull it off.

It was obviously a difficult situation, but I still feel comfortable about what I did.

In that situation, you are hit by conflicting emotions. You want to improve your position irrespective of who it is in front of you - especially when it is someone at Sebastian's level, whom you have to work pretty hard to get back on to.

To manage it but then be told to hold position is something I wasn't prepared to follow at the time. If I'd backed off and held the gap at three seconds, as I was asked to do, it would have been much more difficult for me to sleep after the race.

At the same time, I knew I was going against the team's wishes.

Normally, if you are racing and trying to gain a position, you would imagine everyone would be happy with that.

They weren't, obviously - not because they didn't want me to finish second; they just didn't want us to have contact.

From a team's perspective, it is obviously their worst nightmare.

It's a sensational problem having two competitive drivers but after so many people have put in so much effort in the build-up, they don't want to have one or both cars out of the race. That's where they're coming from.

Having said that, if they were worried about the team losing points, one option would have been for us to swap positions, given that I was a fair bit faster at that stage of the race and was putting a lot of pressure on.

But I'm not a massive fan of that and I know Red Bull Racing isn't either. To my way of thinking, the ball's as much in Seb's court as it is in mine in such situations.

We should be free to race but to keep the team's best interests in the back of our minds, which I'm sure would have been the case anyway.

What made it difficult for me to accept was that it happened so close to the end of the race.

Over the years in F1, we have seen a number of situations when a team has asked one driver to let another by to ensure both their strategies work, for example.

Earlier in the race, there is still plenty to go on, and you are helping a guy who at that point of the race is quicker because of strategy or whatever.

But when you are coming to the line and you've only got five laps to go, there is no more strategy to be played out. It's just a straight fight.

In that case, any driver is going to be a little bit less inclined to accept a request like that, because they know that is what the result is going to be.

Christian [Horner, Red Bull's team principal] and I had a chat about the situation after the race. We both put our cases forward and I think we came away seeing it from both perspectives.

I'm sure you'll be wondering if it will make any difference to my decision about what I do in 2012, whether I carry on racing with Red Bull or not.

The team and I have time to make that decision. We're talking about continuing at the moment and it's positive, and what happened on Sunday does not turn my world upside down.

Putting that aside, it was a positive weekend for me and that gives me a lot of optimism about the rest of the season.

The trend has definitely been going the right way for me in terms of performance over the past few races and I'm getting much more out of the car on Sundays.

Earlier in the year that, combined with some reliability issues, wasn't the case. My engineers were very pleased with that - we have definitely made a step forward.

Source: BBC Sport
... more HERE

No comments: