Thursday, April 29, 2010

Jenson Button's 'Number One' tattoo says all you need to know about the man

Jenson Button has two tattoos that tell you much of what you need to know about Formula One's leading driver. EXCLUSIVE BUTTON BARES HIS SOUL

The one the world sees is a whimsy; a round black coat button on his right forearm. The other, hidden on his ankle, is the one of significance.

He added it long before he won the world title but told no one. It was his message to himself. Translated, the Japanese hieroglyphics say Ichi Ban. Number One. After his victory in China 10 days ago few would doubt the sentiment as he sailed through the rain-lashed chaos for his second victory in three Grands Prix against the greatest gathering of talent in decades.

Yet Button admitted to Mirror Sport that his own laziness and naivety almost torpedoed his own career.

Within two years of his remarkable debut at just 20, he was dumped by Renault and derided publicly by team boss Flavio Briatore as a feckless playboy.

"Everyone has tough times in their career and I've had my fair share," said Button.

"For me it was 2001 and a lot of it was my own fault and the fault of the people I had around me. I didn't realise how competitive F1 was and I thought I could just drive around those problems and didn't have to work on them.

"Now I know you need to spend a lot of time with your engineers.

"You need to change the car to make it your own, you need to spend time on your fitness.

"When I came into F1 there were so many areas I didn't know about. I was just very excited about racing against my heroes, the drivers I'd looked up to in the past.

"I didn't come in with my eyes wide open. I had blinkers on. You learn very quickly in this sport. It's not really the place to learn but I did it. I had to.

"That's when I realised there was more to it than just driving the car.

"I really enjoyed the first season but the problem was that it was a good car and I didn't have to work on the set-up with the engineers.

"It was my mistake. You learn from it, I am the complete opposite now. I do everything I need to - plus a bit more I would say.

"I can't imagine anyone works harder than me but fair play to them if they do."

One untold chapter of the Button story is that he was the one that triggered the revolution that turned mid-table Honda into champions called Brawn.

Asked directly if he had been a traitor to the team - and its boss Ross Brawn - who made him champion by quitting for McLaren, Button's gaze doesn't waver.

"Brawn GP doesn't exist any more. I think Ross respects that decision now, I really do. He was surprised and he thought it would be a tough challenge. He's right. It is," added Button. "But life is about challenges."

And Button faces a unique one now - the chance to become the first British driver in history to win back-to-back titles. To outdo Jackie Stewart, Jim Clark, Nigel Mansell, Lewis Hamilton, Graham Hill and the rest.

"We'd all like to be the first to do that," he admitted. "It shows how difficult it is that no one has ever done it.

"If it doesn't happen I'd be disappointed. Like everyone I want to win. It would be a great stat to have.

"But I am here for more than one year and the most important thing is to be fighting for a championship.

"If I don't win it this year then maybe next year or the year after.

"That's the aim for me. What's most important to me is to win a title with this team. When is not so important."

Source: Daily Mirror

No comments: