Saturday, April 17, 2010

FIA post-qualifying press conference - China

Drivers: 1. Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull), 1m 34.558s; 2. Mark Webber (Red Bull), 1m 34.806s; 3. Fernando Alonso (Ferrari), 1m 34.913s

Q: Sebastian, three poles this season for you and four out of four for Red Bull. You are making a nice habit of winning the qualifying battle.
Sebastian Vettel: It was tough today. I was not so happy yesterday and this morning especially Mark was quite a bit quicker than me. We did some changes, so we went a little bit in Mark’s direction. It was extremely difficult and I was struggling in the first sector especially but now going out of qualifying I was purple in sector one, so I think we did a good step forward. I found a better line in the end, remembering last year a little bit. I think I lost the way a little bit in free practice. But I had two very good runs in Q3. In the last corner in the first run I was a little bit too wide, otherwise it would have been a very good time, but the second one was just a bit better everywhere and it was a fantastic lap. As you said, fourth consecutive pole position for Red Bull. We have proved that we have a very fast car and it seems independent of the circuit type we are always able to be up there, so I am very, very pleased with the day. Especially thanks to the mechanics as they had zero lunch as we required a lot of changes. They had to work from the end of free practice to qualifying, so thanks for that. Let’s see tomorrow. It might be wet, so let’s see.

Q: Mark, Sebastian is thanking the team but maybe he should be thanking you for steering him in the right direction after practice this morning.
Mark Webber: Yeah, in P3 this morning like Seb said he came a little bit my way on some of my settings and it was a good battle again between both of us. He has done a good job in Q3 again. It was definitely a very good lap from Seb. I am pretty happy with my lap, so it was again big credit to the team. We have locked out the front row again. We did that in Melbourne as well and we would have had a good chance in Malaysia if it wasn’t for the mixed session, so in the end very, very positive for the team and also the mechanics. There was stuff coming out on the plane last night which wasn’t easy because of a volcano exploding, so to get some stuff to my car today was impressive for all the guys. Another great team effort today and we have got an interesting grand prix, so I am looking forward to it. I wish we could go back out now, but bit of a sleep and we come back tomorrow.

Q: Fernando, completely different session here for you than it was in Malaysia. This is the third time you will start third on the grid. Is there anymore to come in qualifying for Ferrari or is that the maximum you gave it today?
Fernando Alonso: I think once again this is the maximum of our potential in qualifying. We know that the race pace is a little bit better for us and we feel more comfortable always with more fuel in the car and longer runs but in one lap performance we maximise always the potential. We did it in Bahrain, Australia and here with three times third on the grid. In Malaysia we made a mistake in Q1 but in a normal situation I think this is the maximum we can do at the moment.

(...)

Full Press Conference: Here

Source: Formula1.com

No comments: