Friday, July 30, 2010

Rally-Kimi has learned a lot

Turun Sanomat, Jyväskylä

Kimi Räikkönen was so busy on Thursday that this interview we had agreed was moved more and more later until 50 minutes before the SS1 Kimi had time to answer to a few questions.

If I write that you drive rally in 2011, is it wrong information?

– To be honest I don't know yet, Kimi said.

How much better as a rally driver are you now if you compare to the rookie who started from here a year ago?

– At least I have learned a lot. I learned a lot during the beginning of the season but there is a huge amount to learn.

Experts see that Räikkönen drives Red Bull Citroen like a F1-driver. Kimi takes the car in a straight line concentrating on the front and doesn't let the rear slide like you could do with a rally car.

Do you still think when driving that you driver like a F1-driver?

– I guess my thinking has changed a bit. It's hard to say because I have learned so much. I guess this is a different starting point, Räikkönen thought.

What has been the most difficult thing to adapt to?

– Everything is new. Of course notes are the most difficult to learn. I make them and listen. Sometimes I just put a little more effort into driving and don't hear them and have to ask for them again. Many of my mistakes are due to me not listening carefully enough to the note. It's the most difficult thing because it doesn't happen automatically, Räikkönen said.

What do you expect from this rally?

– I hope it will become a good rally and that I don't make any stupid mistakes. If I'm one second per km behind the lead, then I'm satisfied. It helps a bit that we have notes from last year.

Gravel is the real element for the Finnish rally stars but for Räikkönen it seems that tarmac is a more natural surface.

– I have drove on tarmac all my life, that's why. I expect more of me on gravel too but since I haven't had many rallies my driving style is a bit different. In rally experience means more than it means in F1. If you make a small mistake in rally it costs a lot. In F1 you usually get back on the track through the safety-area.

Source: Turun Sanomat
Courtesy: Nicole

No comments: