Friday, July 30, 2010

Kankkunen vs Räikkönen tingles


– It's nice to race with Kimi. It gives a bit of a challenge. I haven't even looked at others, Kankkunen assured.

Räikkönen caught Kankkunen by 4 seconds and promised he would try to close the gap on Saturday.

– He can always try. Let's see, Kankkunen said.What about the start?

– .I didnt' see the lights. My co-driver Juha Repo told me that he saw even though the sun was shining. He counted the start for me like normal and then we took off. If it was a jumpstart then it was 1/1000 at most. I have never jumpstarted in my lfe. Now I looked at the lights only after we took off even though I couldn't see it, Kankkunen cleared.

Kankkunen enjoys driving.

– It went well, fell into places very well once I learned to trust the car and the brakes. It's easier to get them this way than to go out. I especially enjoyed Myhinpää. I even laughed at times when I had a suspension so that I could just let it go, didn't have to stress, Kankkunen said.

Räikkönen got his Citroen the way he liked it only for the two last stages.

– That's when it worked like it did in testing. It was a difficult day and we decided that we won't do anything more with the car because the end went so much better. I jsut have to try and catch Juha by driving. Now all stages were new. I absolutely did not enjoy Myhinpää the first time. On Saturday there are stages we drove last year already. That should help, Räikkönen said.

A sign of the way Räikkönen is a quick learner is Myhinpää where he improved his time with 17 seconds meaning one second per kilometer when driving for the second time.

– It was sticky in the beginning and we didn't find the rhythm. It's better to drive nicely by the note as agreed upon and there we found the rhythm. If you try to overdo it the clock doesn't like it, Kaj Lindström said.

Source: Turun Sanomat
Courtesy: Nicole

No comments: