Thursday, July 29, 2010

Fernando Alonso Q&A: My reputation is intact

They say you can recognise a champion in the way he handles a crisis - and many would say the aftermath of the German Grand Prix constituted a crisis for Ferrari. Perhaps no surprise then that the team’s double world champion, Fernando Alonso, seems completely unflustered by the continuing media attention in Hungary. All that matters to him is that his 2010 title campaign is back on track. Only in Abu Dhabi will we know just how critical his Hockenheim pass on Felipe Massa was…

Q: Fernando, how much have you been affected by what was written about you and Ferrari after the result of the German Grand Prix?
Fernando Alonso: Of course it doesn't affect me, not at all. If we lost only one percent of our concentration because of things that have been said in the media we'd be totally lost. Not only because of Germany, but because there's always a small anecdote to every race - one time it is the crash between the Red Bulls in Turkey, the next time it is the overtaking in the pit lane between Massa and myself. There is always something to talk about the week after a race, so we cannot pay too much attention to it. There are many opinions on things anyway, and many things have been said in the last couple of days. The opinion of some of the drivers or team principals is their opinion and we respect that, but we have to concentrate on our job. For us the only important thing is that the car is competitive and we can do well here in Hungary as well.

Q: What do you think the fans are making of what happened and what has been written in the media?
FA: For sure some of them are unhappy with some races and not only the one in Germany. There were also some other races this year. Some other fans don't care.Today when I arrived in Hungary, the airport was full, also the hotel was full of people cheering for us, and these are the fans I saw so far. Maybe I will see some others that are unhappy, but for now I only saw the ones that were happy.

Q: What’s your comment on Felipe Massa saying that he is not a number-two driver?
FA: I think there is no number-two driver, and also no number-one driver. I think it is more about the respect for each other, and moreover respect for racing for the Scuderia - which means a lot. I think we are happy with the performance of the car in the last couple of races and in Germany finally there was the point were we arrived with both cars to the chequered flag without any problems and we were both able to score points. But also in Silverstone and Valencia the car was good, so our aim here is to continue this line. There is nothing to add to this conversation - it is the past and we said everything in Germany already.

Q: Do you think because of what happened in Germany, your personal reputation has been affected?
FA: I don't think anything has changed for me or that anything will come back to me. I am still the same and I will always fight for the best things possible, for my team, for the sport and hopefully I can do well my entire career. So I do not think at all that my reputation has taken any bad affect because of this.

Q: Do you have any concerns that the World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) meeting on this topic will bring any further sanctions to you or the team?
FA: I am not wasting any time thinking of the verdict with the WMSC meeting.We drivers have to fully concentrate on the races ahead now, and especially this one, as we have some good possibilities of delivering a good performance. Anything that happens in the future of the WMSC is not in our hands.

Source: Formula1.com

No comments: