Sunday, February 21, 2010

Quickfire Kimi - Red Bulletin

As 2007 Formula One world champion Kimi Raikkonen prepares to make his WRC debut for the Citroen Junior Team, we stop him in the Service Park for a quick chat.

What are your expectations for the Rally Sweden and the WRC season as a whole?

"For Sweden my aim is to get to the end of the rally and to learn the car more. What I need is just more time in the car. For the rest of the season I want to make progress and fight with the others but I have no special target in mind; we will see how it goes."

With limited time to recce and make pace notes, how helpful is it having the experience of Kaj Lindstrom and the Citroen team behind you?

"For sure it's helpful to have other peoples' experience. But in the end while they can help you with certain things they cannot tell you how to drive the car; this is something that you have to learn yourself."

Have you spoken to Rami and other rally drivers about your move and what's been the best piece of advice you've had?

"It's a little bit the same story. Of course I talk with my brother and my friends about motorsport but in the end this is just talk; driving the car is something you have to do yourself."

You are the Ice Man, but have you found a rallying surface you prefer?

"Not yet, as I haven't tried everything yet. Maybe asphalt could be more familiar for me but we will see when we get there."

How does the atmosphere in the Service Park compare with the atmosphere in the F1 Paddock? (Is it more informal, less glamorous, is the food better?)

"It's very different to F1, that's for certain. From what I have seen so far I like the rally atmosphere. But it's only my first rally; I need time to get to know the whole scene better."

Source: Red Bulletin
Courtesy: Saima KRS

No comments: