Saturday, February 13, 2010

Kimi gets to grip with WRC


Kimi Räikkonen has been making his World Rally Champioship debut for the Red Bull-sponsored Citroën Junior team in this weekend’s season-opening race in Sweden. The 2007 Formula One champion knows he has lots to learn having taken on a new challenge, but he is ready for the hard work ahead.

What are your expectations for the WRC season as a whole?

“I wanted to get to the end of the rally in Sweden and to learn the car more. What I need is just more time in the car. For the rest of the season I want to make progress and fight with the others, but I have no special target in mind. We'll see how it goes.”

With limited time to recce and make pace notes, how helpful is it having the experience of Kaj Lindström and the Citroën team behind you?

“For sure it’s helpful to have other peoples’ experience. But, in the end, while they can help you with certain things, they can't tell you how to drive the car. This is something that you have to learn yourself.”

Have you spoken to Rami and other rally drivers about your move and what’s been the best piece of advice you’ve been given?

“It’s a little bit the same story. Of course, I talk with my brother and my friends about motorsport but, in the end, this is just talk. Driving the car is something you have to do yourself.”

Have you found a rallying surface you prefer?

“Not yet, as I haven’t tried everything yet. Maybe asphalt could be more familiar to me but, we will see when we get there.”

How does the atmosphere in the Service Park compare with the atmosphere in the F1 Paddock?

“It’s very different to F1, that’s for certain. From what I have seen so far, I like the rally atmosphere. But it’s only my first rally; I need time to get to know the whole scene better.”

Source: redbull.com

No comments: