Friday, August 26, 2011

Lewis: Together we can destroy the field

Lewis Hamilton admits everyone at McLaren need to cut out the mistakes if they want to "destroy the field"

Hamilton finds himself third in the Drivers' Championship, 88 points behind pacesetter Sebastian Vettel with just eight races left in the season.

The 2008 World Champion, though, insists he is not losing too much sleep over his position in the standings.

"I could easily get upset about it."

He added: "What's important is that I drive the best I have ever driven.

"I think at the last race I wasn't at the top of my game, so I want to make sure I am at my best, and that's what I'm working towards.

"The team are also working towards being at their best so together we can destroy the field."

The 2008 World Champion will no doubt feel he should be a lot closer to Vettel as individual as well as team erroris cost him dearly. At the Hungarian Grand Prix a poor strategic call from the pit wall, a spin and a drive-through penalty saw him finish fourth instead of battling it out with team-mate Jenson Button for the victory.

The Brit adds that he will be striving for consistence in the latter stages of the season.

"I had the realisation a long, long time ago I could not afford to make any more errors, but we've still had them," he said.

"That's why I'm kind of relaxed. What will be, will be. We'll have some ups and downs for the rest of the season, that's the way it has gone.

"I've just got to take it one race at a time and see how it goes because you can have a good race here, a bad race there.

"So many things can affect it, not just your driving, but things you are affected by in the car, decisions made by the team.

"So I have to keep a lot of energy to make sure I make the right decisions. Everything has to come together, to be on point.

"We have not been as consistent in that area as we would like to be and that's something else we are working on.

"But if we're consistent for the rest of the season, like the time when I was always on the podium in 2007, that would be beautiful.

"I would definitely take that."


Source: Planet-F1

No comments: