Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Webber: I need to be inch-perfect


Mark Webber has said he needs to be "inch-perfect" in qualifying if he wants to beat Sebastian Vettel in the future.

Having been outqualified by Vettel in every race so far this season - the reigning world champion has been on pole at every grand prix - Webber has also yet to finish ahead of him and already finds himself 38 points adrift in the championship standings. After struggling in the first two races of the season, Webber has bounced back with consecutive podiums and is hoping to continue his run

"I've now finished fifth, fourth, third and second in the four races of the year, so the trend is going in the right direction," Webber wrote in his Telegraph column. "We're off to Barcelona next, which is a track I like a lot. I won there last year and finished third the year before, and we had two good test sessions there over the winter. I just need to keep working."

Webber did admit that in order to get the better of his team-mate in the future he was going to have a faultless weekend.

"He's at the top of his game at the moment and it's up to me to close the gap. To beat Seb in Spain, I'll have to do a better job than I did in Turkey. I'll need to be inch-perfect in qualifying and then have a cleaner first stint in the race than I did in Turkey because that will throw open a few more options in terms of strategy."

Source: ESPNF1

No comments: