Friday, May 20, 2011

Easy-going Räikkönen aims already to Nationwide


When Kimi Räikkönen's practice went badly in F1 it immediately showed on his face.

On Friday Räikkönen's practice session in World Camping Truck -serie's debut offered a disappointment, but the 31-year old Finn surprised the American media by giving them a 15 minute long interview in a very easy-going and good mood.

Räikkönen went to Nascar-adventure to have fun in new challenges and as an experienced racer he knows that one never learns anything new just by snapping fingers.

Räikkönen was asked about his plans of continuing in Nascar.

– Rally is this year's thing but when I had the time and the opportunity, I went to see what Nascar really is about. If I suck then I doubt I'll be coming back. Hopefully the qualification and race goes better than the practice.

– I don't have any specific plans. This race and next weekend here. After that we will see what the future brings along. Hopefully I would get soon to a Sprint Cup -race. They look nice. I always try to do my best when I'm racing, Räikkönen said.

Next weekend only the two biggest classes in Nascar race on Charlotte's oval, therefore Räikkönen aims at the least for a Nationwide -race next Saturday.

Kyle Busch announced in his own press conference that he can't offer Räikkönen a Nationwide- or Sprint Cup -car.

No plans about next year

Räikkönen's reputation as Ferrari's F1-WDC is known in America. But they have no impresson over why Kimi left F1.

– There were many reasons why I quit. But I haven't said that it's final. At the moment I don't miss F1. I have wanted to do many different things and I have got great opportunities to try rally and now Nascar. I have never said that I could not go back to F1. I have no plans about what I will do next year, Räikkönen said.

Then how big is the Nascar-challenge and how much has Kyle Busch been able to help the rookie?

– Switching from F1 to rally was a huge change. From rally to Nascar it isn't as difficult. I learn all the time and this is only my first time when I drive with other cars at the same time on the track. The practice went badly and of course it would have been good to get more laps but we have to go with what we have.

Then which one is nicer - to drive a WRC-car or a Nascar-truck?

– They are both completely different. In Nascar there are a few curves with little differences but in rally you drive on snow, gravel and tarmac so that each corner changes all the time. You can't compare them, but I can say that the feeling that comes from driving them is pretty much the same.

– Of course it helps here when in rally it's normal that the car goes into a slide. Therefore you don't panic with the Nascar-cars either.

– The atmosphere is easy-going - just like in rally. They think differently in F1 and they want to do it in their own way, Räikkönen said.

Busch helped as much as he could

Kyle Busch came by to hear what Räikkönen's and team manager Rick Ren's feelings were after the practice.

What kind of an impression does the American star have of Räikkönen?

– Kimi impressed in tests but now the practice didn't go as we expected. We had a different tyre than we had on a couple earlier occasions on this track and it caused Kimi problems in setups. The car was too loose.

Räikkönen said that the relationship with Busch has worked out just as he had expected.

– The team is good and it's good to work with them. They try and help as much as they can but it's difficult to come and tell a racer how he should drive. You can try and teach him but usually the end result is bad, Räikkönen said.

Turun Sanomat, Charlotte

HEIKKI KULTA


Courtesy: Nicole

No comments: