Friday, March 11, 2011

McLaren boss is banned from driving


THE chairman of the McLaren motoring group has been banned from driving for six months.

Executive chairman Ron Dennis, 63, formerly of Thorley Close, West Byfleet, was ordered to surrender his licence at Woking Magistrates’ Court on Monday (March 7) after pleading guilty to driving through a red light in Bagshot.

Dennis, who joined McLaren in 1980, was spotted ignoring the stop signal just after 7.30am on September 5 last year, while driving his Mercedes Benz on Bracknell Road.

Dennis, of Pinewood Road, Virginia Water, said that he should be spared a driving ban because of the inconvenience it would cause to his lifestyle, which includes long working hours and spending time with his children on weekends.

Defending himself, he explained that he had a friend travelling in another car behind him and he feared that stopping suddenly at the lights might cause a crash.

He said: “There were only two other cars around but I felt that it would be more prudent to continue rather than stop.

“It was the decision I took for which I realise I’m here to take the penalty, but as I have said I really need my licence.

“I have no hardship but I would have a massive amount of trouble not being able to look after my daughter at the weekends."

With nine points already on his licence from three previous speeding offences since April 2008, Dennis was given three further points, resulting in an automatic six-month ban under the “totting” rule.

Chairman of the bench Mike Morritt ignored Dennis’ plea for exceptional circumstances, and said that the ban would stand.

He stepped down from his role as team principal of the McLaren F1 team in 2009, to focus on marketing the company’s new supercar, the MP4-12C

Dennis, who did not wish to comment after the result, was also ordered to pay a fine of £350, plus court costs of £43 and a surcharge of £15.


Source: BBC Sports

No comments: