Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Lewis Hamilton to take 13,000-mile detour to watch brother Nicolas make race debut ahead of Malaysian GP


But the McLaren driver insists it will not affect his preparation for the Malaysian Grand Prix a week on Sunday, where he will attempt to reel in Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel.

Hamilton finished second to the world champion at the season opener in Australia on Sunday, an unexpected result given McLaren's dismal pre-season form.

As he prepared to fly to Kuala Lumpur on Monday to begin training for the sweat-fest in Sepang he reflected on that stunning turnaround, claiming that he was mentally and physically in the best shape he has ever been.

“Things are pretty good,” Hamilton said. “And they can only get better. Finally I’ve got something I can fight with, something I can take the fight to the Bulls with.”

This time last year Hamilton was under a cloud after he and his father Anthony decided to go their separate ways following nearly 20 years together as driver-manager.

Twelve months later he was buzzing after the pair shared a hug on the grid in Melbourne, a symbolic step in their blossoming relationship.

“This weekend was the best feeling I have ever had with my dad being here just as my dad,” he said.

“The support I had — he has always given me immense support, but I think it was support mixed with some stress of ‘I don’t want to let you down’. But this time it was just ‘I’m so proud to see you out there’, and it just felt fantastic. Really, really great.

” Hamilton flies back to the UK this weekend to watch 19-year-old Nicolas, who suffers from cerebral palsy, take part in his first race at Brands Hatch, where he makes his debut in the Renault Clio Cup, before returning to Kuala Lumpur.

“I am the closest person to him, but even I cannot comprehend what it must have been like to have the difficulties he has had,” Hamilton said. “I’m so proud of him.

"I’ll just head back to see his qualifying and race and then pop back out. It’s cool. I’ll get to watch lots of movies on the plane. Physically, this is the best I’ve ever felt by a long way.”

Source: The Telegraph

No comments: