Saturday, May 1, 2010

Alonso interviewed by Corriere della Sera: “I couldn’t imagine that Ferrari was so exciting”

Maranello, 1 May - Before the Spanish GP, one of Fernando Alonso’s home races, he gave Corriere della Sera’s Flavio Vanetti the following interview.

The question he didn’t answer was what he, if he had to interview Alonso, would ask the Spanish driver.
«What I would ask Fernando Alonso if I was a journalist? I have no idea...».

The most current question at the moment is how much his being “Ferrarista” weighs on the race on 9 May in Barcelona. Will this be an advantage or just an enormous pressure?
«It will be purely positive, a great advantage. The spectators will have great expectations and we’ll give it our all to not disappoint them. In Barcelona you’re braking five metres later and accelerate two seconds earlier.

So no fear at all. Alonso, you have your thumbs insured for 10 million Euros. Just like a piano player, a piano player from F1.
«Banco Santander is getting into insurances. I’m their testimonial. The thumbs are something we drivers use a lot.»

How does a champion like you deal with the threat of an accident?
«I don’t think much about it. I know that I have to live a calm life, because my work depends on my physical abilities. I’m doing everything with lots of attention and care. Well yes, you do live with a little fear. Every time you’re racing, you want to be top.»

Alonso the pragmatic, but is he also a fatalist?
«We are the masters of our destinies. I jumped the start at the Chinese GP, because I made a mistake, not because of fate.»

What happens after such mistake?
«You reflect. And you’re disappointed with yourself. I’m thinking about it afterwards. You can’t give in, you wouldn’t get out of it.»

Alonso is a class of his own, Ferrari is Ferrari: is it correct to say that at some point they had to meet?
«I don’t know if I’m a class of my own... but me and Ferrari are living the races with lots of passion. Working with a cooler team was something a bit strange. Now that there are two Latin drivers at Ferrari motivates much more.»

Did you loose time before you finally met?
“We were on different roads, but we haven’t lost any time: I didn’t win with McLaren and for two years with Renault, but I’m a better driver than I was in 2006. Ferrari won the 2007 Championship with Raikkonen and the Constructors’ Title in 2008. We met in 2010, discovering that we were readier than before.»

Does Maranello deliver the emotion you imagined?
«No, it’s different. It’s even better. I expected to come to the strongest team, being able to benefit from the potential. But Ferrari is much more: it’s a passion, a philosophy, a way of life. I’m contaminated by this emotion.»

It has to be said that Schumacher, in some way, helped you to adjust: many fans feel cheated by him...
«Now, maybe, we’re a little freer...»

Who is this Alonso behind the visor?
«A calm guy. I’d say even likeable. And romantic. He doesn’t have any special characteristics, I’m just a normal guy. I’m shy and I don’t hide it. But when I feel at ease, the real Spaniard comes out.»

Does shyness at work not turn into an obstacle?
«Yes. But in my case it disappears when I put on my helmet.»
Alonso is defending his privacy
«Yes. I’m getting angry when they want to enter my life. It’s about character, education, what my parents told me: the race track is one thing, home is something else. Interest for Fernando Alonso has to end Sunday afternoon.»

What is it you don’t like about F1?
«When they twist your image: people might misunderstand and get the wrong ideas.»

You are the result of Spain turning dominant in the world of sport, or is this something else?
«I’m part of an excellent generation, grown thanks to a country exploded over the last 20 years. We made some gigantic steps in sport: just think about tennis; today we’ve got 2,000 percent more tennis courts.”

But Spain also had someone like Dr. Fuentes, who was involved in doping scandals.
«Every nation, every sport has their Fuentes. Let’s just look at the positive aspects.”

Who is your idol in the world of sport?
«Miguel Indurain. A reserved person just like me, exalting in action. A superhero.»

Do you know that you are considered to be a superhero?
«No, I’m not aware of it. But I know that there is this image and this devotion for F1 and the drivers. I know that there are people in Spain, when they see me, cry and suffer: that’s what I feel for Indurain».

A Spaniard in Italy...how’s that?
«Spaniards and Italians have the same way of life. We like to party and having fun, but we’re as professional as ‘cooler’ nations in Northern Europe.»

Do you see Italy divided between North and South?
«No, I see it united. Don’t forget that I’m coming from a country where we have Basque, Catalan and even Asturian separatists...».

What do you think about your King, is he a Spaniard from the third millennium?
«Young people respect him, but they don’t pay lots of attention. He’s an institution, more part of the generation of our parents and grandparents. On me Juan Carlos makes an enormous impression, because I’m a traditionalists.»

Flavio Briatore is much more than just a friend for you, he’s almost a father; do you think that’s funny?
«Yes, that’s not easy to imagine.»

Prognosis: maybe Briatore ‘contaminates’ you and you’re becoming a father too.
“I spoke with my wife Raquel and we decided that now is not the right moment. There’s my work, but there’s also hers: she’s a singer with 40-50 concerts per year. for a family you have to stop, first of all. And nothing will be as it was before. In this case destiny will decide for us; well, maybe not, because even in such a situation you’re your own referee.»

If you had a magic wand, what would you change in the world?
«The world is in a bad shape. Poverty and wealth are creating a lack of balance. 99% would like to solve this problem and I don’t think that I’m saying something groundbreaking.

How does one win a Championship?
«Starting from the car, with good planning. Then there’s the development, although with the limitations we have fantasy is restricted. To win now you also need some luck. It’s important that not just a details works, but a whole lot of things.»

The driver doesn’t count?
«It’s all about the team: how you work at the Works and then at the track. I think the one who drives has a low percentage, but the driver has to be up to the performance and consistent. It’s not important giving 100% from time to time, but always and under any circumstances 98%.»

Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren: is this the right order?
«Red Bull is stronger in the qualifying and they are very fast; but we can catch up in the race. McLaren knows how to develop its cars very fast, but we’re not joking either. Total: Ferrari favourite for the Championship.»

Let’s get back to Schumacher. Did the fact that he went to Mercedes surprise you?
«Yes, a lot. I was even more surprised that he came back... with the calm life he could have lived and with such a past...»

In China you’ve been criticised for overtaking Massa at the pit lane entry. Would you do it again?
«Absolutely yes.»

Which drivers’ couple could create a problem for Alonso and Massa?
“Felipe and I are complementary. While I’m missing something in the corners he has, while I am faster in some sections. Learning from each other is a secret. Who could create problems? Button and Hamilton».

Alonso, who do you like to overtake?
«Leaving Schumacher behind is always nice: you’re talking about it for a whole week.»

Do you want to give Valentino Rossi an advice, because he might not have stopped thinking about F1?
«He’s the number 1 in motorcycle sport, nobody will come even close. It wouldn’t hurt him turning to rally or F1, but I don’t have any advice. But if he came to us, he would be welcomed.»

Spaniards and Italians are very religious. In Italy there’s even the Pope. Are you a religious man? How’s your relation to God?
«There’s no relation and I have never looked for one. Let me say it again: I don’t believe in destiny or in acts of God: if a plane crashes and you die, it’s not because someone called you to heaven.»

Source: Corriere della Sera - Ferrari.com

No comments: