Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Button: I'm not yet at 100%

Jenson Button concedes that there have been some teething problems following his move to McLaren but believes that he is now nearing his best

The 2009 World Champion switched over to McLaren after sealing the World title with Brawn GP, and while Button has claimed victory in Australia and China this season, he has at times struggled to match the front runners.

The Briton admits that changing teams has caused a few problems for him.

"For me it is a different car, so that's the biggest change," Button told Eurosport.

"I was with the same team for seven years and they built the car around me, whereas now I'm finding my way slowly with a new one - as I'm sure Michael Schumacher is finding out. I'm working on it, but there are a couple of tweaks still needed.

"Every race the team learns more about me and that helps. Things are not going badly at all as we've won two races, but I'm not going at 100 per cent yet," he added.

Turning his attention towards this weekend's Turkish Grand Prix, Button is hopeful that the aerodynamic upgrades and changes to the wings that the team are implementing at the race will help McLaren to at least partially close the gap on Red Bull.

"How much difference it will make I don't know; will it be enough to close the gap on Red Bull?

"They were so far ahead at Barcelona and also at Monaco that we can't bridge that gap with one update. We need to get closer to Red Bull in qualifying because our race pace is very good and if we start closer to them perhaps we can cause them problems," said the 30-year-old.

However, Button is buoyed by the fact that the Istanbul Park circuit should suit the MP4-25 more than other tracks have.

"It is faster and more flowing than Monaco obviously, which suits our car," he explained.

"Hopefully our F-duct will help us there. Red Bull are looking to adopt one but that is only the start of the job: it takes time to tune it. The more you run with it the more efficient it becomes, so we have a head start in that regard," the World Champion added.

Source: Planet-F1

No comments: