Thursday, December 23, 2010

Kimi's late father Matti gave all he got on the behalf of his sons

Thursday, 23.12.2010 at 13.23

Kimi Räikkönen's dad Matti Räikkönen didn't spare himself in supporting his sons's hobby.

The aim of the family was not professional however, it all started as a hobby and progressed on the conditions of Rami and Kimi. The same spirit was also maintained throughout Kimi's whole magnificent career.

- I watched sometimes the dads in karting who were trying to live their dreams through their children. It was sad to see how the dads sweared and shouted at children who failed criticizing them for mistakes. It felt bad that the whole thing lacked fun and good spirit, Matti told Iltalehti in 2008.

- The boys' hobby started by driving in the yard until it resembled a field of potatoes. After that we switched to micro cars.

In the same interview Matti told that that the races in the beginning were far from glamorous.

- Us dads took our sons to karting from for example Stockholm to Lake Garda in Italy. We travelled 2 500 kilometers in a big hurry. We only stopped to go to the toilet. In the beginning we had our own lunches because the food was expensive in gas stations and it took too much time. Drivers took turns.

Kim's extraordinary talents in motorsport became clear early on.

- Kimi would win even if he would drive a scooter, his father summed up during his second national rally in 2009.

At that time he said he had already withdrawn aside from Kimi's career. He told that he concentrates more on the "maintenance guy's jobs".

- For the last few years I've only been in Monaco and Spa. In the past more often. I have so much to do in the garden, he laughed at the time.

Matti Räikkönen was often asked how he deals with the fear that his son's dangerous profession including tough risks causes.

- I don't feel fear but of course I follow every race nervously. Anything can happen. Kimi's car has had problems for five years so I have had to get used to failures, he told.

The father often had to respond to questions about his son's cutting-edge persona.

- I think it is right to stick to authenticity. I think the same way myself: if I'm not good enough as I am then I don't have to be good enough at all, his dad summed up.

IL

Courtesy: Nicole

No comments: