Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Button receives MBE

Jenson Button picks up his MBE from the Queen at Buckingham Palace

Jenson Button has received his MBE from Her Majesty the Queen in a ceremony at Buckingham Palace.

The McLaren driver was handed the award after securing his maiden F1 title last season with Brawn GP, with the ceremony coming just days after he finished behind Lewis Hamilton in a British 1-2 at the Turkish Grand Prix.

“The last 18 months have been an incredible period in my life,” Button was quoted by the official F1 website. “Starting last year facing almost impossible odds, I achieved my childhood dream of winning the Formula One world championship and I'm now driving for one of the greatest teams in the sport.

“To also be recognised by Her Majesty the Queen and the British people is the greatest honour I could possibly imagine. My whole life in motorsport has been an incredible journey. When I started karting as an eight year-old boy, I could only dream of racing in Formula One, or becoming world champion. Even now, those dreams still feel unbelievable and fantastic to me.

“To visit Buckingham Palace today is another huge step along that journey. To be awarded the MBE by Her Majesty the Queen is a very great honour for me, and a significant milestone in my life. Today makes me incredibly proud to be British, and to be able represent my country on the world's stage. Being Formula One world champion, and receiving the MBE, carries with it great responsibility that I am proud to take on and uphold.”

Source: Crash.net

No comments: