Sunday, June 13, 2010

Lewis Hamilton Q&A: It will be an interesting race

After clinching his first win of 2010 at the last event in Turkey, McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton has now scored his first pole position of the season in Montreal on Saturday. Hamilton reviews his qualifying session and looks ahead to Sunday’s Canadian Grand Prix…

Q: How do you feel?
Lewis Hamilton: It was such a happy feeling coming across the line. The team told me on the radio at Turn Two that I was on pole. I knew it was a good lap. I’m just really happy and proud of the team, as they did a great job before qualifying and we deserved this result I think.

Q: How do you think the tyre battle is going to play out during the race?
LH: It will definitely be a very interesting race. I hope the weather stays like this, or gets even better. I also hope that the track is a little bit better. On Friday the option tyre was going off after about five laps. So for the race it will be interesting to see how long we can look after these tyres. The Red Bulls are in an interesting situation, as they have the prime tyre on, but at the end of the day they have to use the option tyre as well at some stage. Also the safety car often makes an appearance in Canada, and it could play more into the result, but that’s the way it is here.

Q: You seem to have improved a lot since Friday…
LH: We have only made a couple of different set-up changes on the car. Today the tyres just worked a lot better. We were able to switch them on much more. It’s not only the track that works very well for me; it’s also the country, the city and the people. It’s almost like being in the UK. The support from the fans is great and the people are so friendly. I appreciate this so much and I hope I can make them proud on Sunday.

Q: You stopped out on track…
LH: You have one lap to do the job during the run. On the out lap you have to get the tyres and brakes up to temperature. Then you have to find a gap and then you have to nail it. Out of the two runs I think that I nailed it during the first run. The second was not so great. We have been quickest all day, and then not making it would really be a shame for the team. Fortunately they enabled me to do another lap, where I really got everything out of the car. You have to have enough fuel in the car, so they are able to take a sample, and the team believed that there would be no problems with this, as I wasn’t that far away from the pit lane. And fact is that I did not run out of fuel because I switched the engine off to avoid running out of it. Lap-wise there is never a perfect lap. When I take a look at the data later, I will most probably find out that I have lost a little bit here and there, and that I could have even be quicker. But still it was a sensational lap for me. And this is my third pole position in the three years I have been here, so I am really proud of this.

Q: The Red Bulls start the race with the prime tyres, and you with the option tyre. How much do you think this will affect your first couple of laps?
LH: Of course the Red Bulls are in a better position at the beginning of the race. But we will see how we can work with the softer tyres. In the end I believe it will come down to the pit stops, safety cars and the weather situation. I hope that it will stay dry though.

Q: We have seen many people push their car whilst feeling frustrated, but you pushed it whilst feeling very happy…
LH: This is because I love my car. I always love my car. Today I was able to push her, and she has pushed me across the line to be on pole, so I was happy to push her.

Q: Your team mate Jenson Button said that he is happy that he is only four tenths of a second behind you, as you are so strong here. Why are you so strong here?
LH: I think that this circuit is more of a kart-like circuit. I am happy to throw the car around and into the curves - that has always been one of my strengths.

Source: Formula1.com

No comments: