Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Räikkönen: I've never driven a F1 car at -25ºC!

In Finland, preparing for the 2010 season, Kimi Räikkönen has participated in his first tests behind the wheel of his C4 WRC of the Citroën Junior Team.



Q: You start your first season in rally. Have you found different aspects from WRC comparing to F1?
KR: They are completely different disciplines. Here, it's -25º during testing. I have never driven a F1 car at -25º! In F1 practice sessions, we loop around the circuit all the time, taking the same lap. In rally, even in the same stretch of road, the conditions change every time we pass. There's more or less snow.

Q: What do you like about rallying?
KR: Everything! It's a new challenge for me. It's the biggest challenge of my racing career! It's very exciting...

Q: What do you expect from your first races?
KR: I'm a beginner in rally. We'll see how we compare to drivers with many years of experience in this discipline. At first, our goal will be to finish the races. I have to learn how the car works before I can attack a bit more.

Q: Which surface do you think you'll be more comfortable with?
KR: I've driven in every surface last season. Maybe more in the snow, as I've driven in testing and races. But I imagine I can get good results on asphalt. It's the surface I'm most familiar with.

Q: For a beginner in rallying, the pace notes are an important job. Is it something in which you have already progressed on?
KR: We will use the same system as last year, it's worked quite well. Experience helps, we will continue to improve and we will see how it works during the first few races.

Q: What are your ambitions for the start at the Arctic Rally?
KR: It was my first rally last season. This was good practice. I will be able to run a few kilometres with the car before the first race in the World Championship. It's also a good oportunity to race in Finland.

The 2007 F1 World Champion will be in the Arctic Rally, from Friday to Saturday in Rovaniemi. Besides Räikkönen, Dani Sordo (Citroën C4 WRC), Mika Salo (Ford Fiesta R2) and Rami Räikkönen (Abarth Grande Punto S2000) will also take part in the event.

Source: Autohebdo
Thanks: TaniaS and Anelise
Translated from French by: Fran

No comments: