Saturday, January 30, 2010

Hamilton 'suggested Button as a teammate'

Lewis Hamilton has shed some new light on Jenson Button's surprise move to McLaren by claiming he was the one who urged the team to consider signing the current Formula One Champion


The Woking outfit's decision to team up two high-profile drivers raised quite a few eyebrows in light of Hamilton and Fernando Alonso's frosty partnership during the 2007 season.

Hamilton, though, is adamant that he welcomed Button with open arms and he took things even further during the launch of the new MP4-25 by claiming he suggested to team boss Martin Whitmarsh.

"Something you won't know is that I actually called Martin and said 'What about Jenson?', which was before they had negotiations," said Hamilton.

"At the time I was calling them and asking them, 'What's going on? I keep reading all these different stories about different drivers. What's happening?'

"Fortunately I would be told who they were talking to, but I had absolutely no input into who they would pick.

"So I would say, 'Have you spoken to this person? Have you spoken to Jenson?'.

"And why Jenson? Because he is the best driver there is, and they wanted to get the best driver possible. I just wanted to find out because people kept asking me as to who was going to be my team-mate.

"I was happy with the team-mate I had, but it seemed like they were looking for someone else.


"I want the best team I can possibly have to score the points alongside me," replied Hamilton. "When he's winning I've got to be finishing second, and when I'm winning he's got to be finishing second.

"I need a team. I can't win the Constructors' Championship on my own, so I need to have as strong a team-mate as possible.

"You want someone to push you. I had Fernando (Alonso) pushing me in 2007, and at certain points in the year in 2008, I had Heikki pushing me.

"I've no doubts this year Jenson is going to be hard to beat. His results last year speak for themselves, so in coming here I'm sure he will do a solid job."

Confirming Hamilton was fully supportive of Button's appointment, Whitmarsh said: "As we evaluated the driver market, which we did over a number of weeks, Lewis was consistently positive about Jenson.

"As I think has been made clear, they have a high regard for each other and are already getting on well."

Button's camp has always maintained that he only started discussions with McLaren after negotiations with Brawn broke down at the end of the 2009 season. However, the 30-year-old admitted that he had "talks" with Hamilton before that.

"[Lewis and I] spoke a little bit in Brazil and Abu Dhabi," Button said, "but not about me coming here. I just asked him questions about McLaren. So we spoke a little bit, but he didn't know why I was asking the questions.

"I was just interested then - just being nosy really. I didn't think for one second before Brazil that I would be changing teams. I didn't think the option was there, not before I won the title. But obviously your mindset changes when you win something that you've worked so hard for. Then you look for other challenges."


Source: Planet F1

No comments: