Saturday, April 9, 2011

Lewis: Vettel’s a bad F1 loser

LEWIS HAMILTON last night revved up his rivalry with Sebastian Vettel - insisting: I'll never be a bad loser like you

The British ace insists he has no problem being beaten by team-mate Jenson Button, saying it only spurs him on.

And that is in stark contrast to world champion Vettel, who was criticised for sulking when losing out to fellow Red Bull racer Mark Webber last season.

Hamilton's swipe came as he responded to claims by Vettel's boss Christian Horner that it would be difficult for both drivers to be team-mates.

The McLaren racer, 26, said: "The only reason I'd imagine he would suggest that is because certain individuals don't like being beaten.

"Some individuals can take it - some are better losers or better winners.

"In this team, when Jenson beats me, I take it on the chin and think 'next time I'm going to beat him'.

"When I beat him, he doesn't whinge and say 'Oh, Lewis has a better car than me or Lewis did this and I did that'.

"There is none of that here, it's very equal.

"I never have complaints. If a guy beats me it's because he has done a better job."

Hamilton was third quickest in opening practice for tomorrow's Malaysian Grand Prix as Webber shrugged off his first race nightmare in Australia to dominate both sessions yesterday.

Button took second spot just 0.005sec off Webber's pace with Vettel, who won the race in Melbourne, fourth fastest.

Hamilton insists he would have no problems having Vettel - who took his tag as F1's youngest champ last year - as his team-mate.

He added: "The better the guy you're with, and you finish ahead of them, then you look even better.

"I feel privileged I was put up against Fernando Alonso when I first got here because I beat him.

"That raised the awareness of me being here and also my targets plus everyone's expectation of me.

"It's always good to be against the best guy you can be against - because you are compared to that guy in the same equipment.

"Fernando and I were competitive. You see me and Jenson - so world champs can race together.

"Red Bull is a fantastic team but they don't have me rattled.

"I don't remember a time when I've been rattled."

Hamilton insists he will see out the remaining two years of his £75million McLaren deal despite their failure to give him a championship-winning car for the past couple of seasons.

The Herts-born racer reckons he could even stay at the team for all his career - like Ryan Giggs at Manchester United - as long as they match his desire for title glory.

He added: "United have been very successful over the years and that is the deciding factor.

"If they weren't then Ryan would've moved elsewhere. It's not frustrating that I'm being linked to Red Bull.

"The positive is that potentially other teams are interested in me as well as my own team - so that hopefully makes my team more hungry.

"Whoever you are, if your boss is looking for someone else to replace you, you would feel awkward and think 'why am I putting the effort in?' It's the same for me on the opposite side."

Button reckons tomorrow could be "madness" if the Sepang track is hit by a regular tropical downpour.

The Frome flier, 31, says the grand prix will be less clear-cut than Melbourne when Vettel cruised home.

He said: "With the heat and humidity, and a tough circuit for tyres, it'll be tough. Chuck the weather in, it's madness."

Source: The Sun

No comments: