Thursday, July 14, 2011

Button reaping the rewards of hard work

Jenson Button says the constant speculation about his F1 future shows that he is in "a privileged position" for the first time in his career

Although the 2009 World Champion's dismal record in the British Grand Prix continued on Sunday, it cannot detract from what has in general been a positive season.

Button already has an option on his McLaren contract for next year, and it is likely that will be taken up - the 31-year-old having already said that he would like to end his career with the Woking team.

Despite his apparent contentedness, though, Button's name has still been linked to Ferrari, whilst Red Bull was mentioned for the first time at the weekend.

After many years of struggle with a number of midfield teams, even wondering if he had a future in F1 on occasion, Button would appear to be in a favourable situation.

"I've been through a lot of crap times in my career, so it's nice to be in this position that I feel I've worked hard to get to," he said.

"I'm think I'm all right speed wise, I'm naturally talented, lucky in a way you could say, but I've also worked hard as well in my career in many different areas.

"Yeah, I've worked hard to get where I am and for what I've achieved, and I feel there is a lot more I can achieve in Formula One.

"That's probably one of the reasons why I'm being linked with other people, so it's nice to have positive comments written about you, and they're all exciting prospects.

"You could say I do feel in a privileged position. It's nice to be in that position."

Any switch to Ferrari would be in place of Felipe Massa, who has generally struggled to match Fernando Alonso since the double world champion arrived last season.

Moving to Ferrari is a scenario Button cannot entirely dismiss, saying: "As a kid growing up there were three teams that really excited me, and they were the three fighting for the world title in Williams, McLaren and Ferrari.

"I've driven for Williams and McLaren, one at the start of my career and one now, but your dreams as a kid don't always come true.

"I don't know where my future is, other than in a car that is definitely fighting for victories, which is exactly what I want at this moment in time after what I've achieved.

"So it's a case of never say never. You've got to keep your options open, never burn any bridges.

"But I don't think you want to look too far in the future either.

"You have to live the moment and enjoy what you're doing, and I don't know what's going to happen in the future at the moment."

Button is adamant he would have no problems working with Alonso, despite the Spaniard's problems alongside Lewis Hamilton at McLaren in 2007.

Alonso also replaced Button at Renault at the end of the 2002, with the latter then joining Jacques Villeneuve at BAR.

"I'm pretty strong in the head when it comes to team-mates - I've worked with Jacques Villeneuve," added Button.

"He made a lot of comments, mostly not to my face but to the media, but halfway through the season we became good friends.

"I think he realised it was wrong of him to make the comments he did. I think he was upset because a new guy was coming into his team.

"But I've no worries being anyone's team-mate. I relish racing for a team that has a competitive driver. I enjoy the fight."

Button has won once this season in Canada, but in general he, Hamilton and McLaren have fought a losing battle with Red Bull and now Ferrari.

A botched pit stop forced Button into retirement at Silverstone, leaving him 95 points adrift of Sebastian Vettel with 10 races remaining.

Button is no longer considering the title picture, adding: "The most important thing to think about is race wins now.

"You never know what is going to happen to Seb, but I think you have to take every race as it comes and not think about the Championship."


Source: Planet-F1

No comments: