Thursday, July 22, 2010

Exclusive interview with Fernando Alonso: LOOKING DOWN

Turun Sanomat 22.7 2010

Fernando Alonso is known as a tough top driver who without suffering much can even step on his team mate's toes if his own advantage in the race requires it.

In public interviews the Spanish star usually shoots straightly what he thinks without blinking the eye.

But in a smaller group Alonso's being changed: all of a sudden he is in front of you like a shy schoolboy.

I got a unique opportunity for a private interview with Ferrari's superstar and we talked about many current and less current matters.

The driver's answers were very well justified, he takes a position - but he doesn't even by accident look the interviewer in the eye. His eyes were all the time looking down as if the star of the world would be as shy as an monolingual person abroad.

I got a feeling of getting to know the real Fernando who in public always hides behind his tough image.

Those who know Alonso closer feel that his behaviour comes from him not trusting anyone and that he is reserved because he thinks everybody is against him.

What is certain is that it doesn't bother Alonso's mind at all how he got to be a Ferrari-driver a year before although he sits with Finns.

Alonso started his F1-career exactly the same time Kimi Räikkönen did in Australia 2001. He promises to stop immediately when he sees that he isn't winning anymore.

But Alonso won't become a rallydriver after that. The Spaniard admitted very honestly that he wouldn't have the same patience as Kimi has. Whatever Alonso does, he wants to win immediately.

ALONSO MISSES FAIR RÄIKKÖNEN

After the winter tests Fernando Alonso assured that Ferrari's F10-car is the best car he has ever drove during his F1-career. On Thursday when interviewed by Turun Sanomat the Spaniard still assured that he feels the same even though he is only 5th in the championship-serie.

– Yes. This is absolutely the best car I have ever drove. The engine, aerodynamics, the feeling it gives... Everything works much better than in those cars I have earlier drove.

– I am satisfied but one has to remember that my opponents also have strong cars. The fact that this Ferrari is the best car I have ever drove doesn't mean that it would be the best car in the championship-serie 2010, Alonso emphasizes.

Only thing not in balance is luck

Alonso won his debut race with Ferrari in Bahrain but has ever since become more weaker. Where is the problem - luck, car or mistakes?

– I think that luck has always been a key factor during the beginning of the season. With another kind of luck I could now lead the championship. I have done mistakes

- jumpstart in China and crash in Monaco practice - but that department is in balance since my opponents have also lost points because of making mistakes.

– Luck is the only thing which is never in balance. I have had less luck than my main opponents. I am expecting better luck in the last season - and less Safety Car -situations.

A poorer season hasn't brought Alonso down. He still believes that he is fighting for the WDC.

Different positions as a chaser

Yet the situation is different when compared to years 2005 and 2006 when Alonso won the championships. In 2005 he fought Kimi Räikkönen for the title and in 2006 he fought Michael Schumacher for the title so that he was leading all season long.

Now four other drivers drive for the victories and Alonso has become a chaser from behind.

– There's is remarkably more competition now than it was during my championship-seasons. I have four drivers ahead of me and I have to be able to improve my position.

– What makes the situation tricky is that I can't concentrate on only one opponent. On the other hand it makes the situation easier that those four can't win the race at the same time so that's why taking podiums will improve my situation. When the points go here and there I can quickly get higher, Alonso plans.

– The most important is to win the championship in November.

Kimi will also become a rally winner

Then what does it mean to Alonso now that his longtime competitor Kimi Räikkönen has disappeared from the F1-tracks?

– Kimi was a completely unique F1-driver, different character, brilliant driver and the most fair opponent I have ever known. Kimi is respectable and he is a respectable racer. In every battle or overtaking with Kimi you always had the feeling of us being safe because he always drove so fairly, Alonso praises.

– It's obvious that this bunch of 24 drivers miss Kimi. I think he enjoys it where he drives but it would be cool if he would come back again.

Have you been following Räikkönen's rally career?

– Yes. Kimi has already become a good rallydriver. It hasn't been easy for him because the opponents are years ahead of him when it comes to experience. Yet I believe that Kimi will soon win in rally and I also genuinely wish that he will win the championship in that serie too.

Then would Alonso's patience be enough to like Räikkönen take a challenge that requires years of work to grow into?

– I don't love rally so much that I would ever go there. And I'm also probably not patient enough because rally is so competitive and requires so much learning. It's almost the same as with DTM. You like watching them both but if you try to go there yourself it takes 1-2 years before you know how they work there.

Especially the Finns have been astonished over why Felipe Massa was so even in qualifications with Räikkönen when Alonso again has beaten the Brasilian 7-2.

– I can't answer to that but I think that Kimi found some trust in the car in the end of last season when Felipe couldn't drive. If Felipe would have been driving then I believe that Kimi would had been ahead Felipe just like I am now.

– This year Felipe has slipped because he has had problems getting his tyres temperature right during the qualification lap. In practice and races we are very even. Higher temperatures during this summer's qualifications will help Felipe for sure, Alonso thinks.

ALONSO WILL END HIS CAREER AT FERRARI

Does Fernando Alonso have a life after Ferrari? Can you imagine driving for another team at some point?

– Everything changes when you go to Ferrari. When you drive in this team you are a Ferrari-driver for the rest of your life. It changes your whole life. Someday when I have retired I can tell my children and grand-children that I was a Ferrari-driver. It's more than my whole career as a whole.

- After Ferrari it would be impossible to drive anywhere else, Alonso says to Turun Sanomat.

Then for how long will Alonso continue? The current Ferrari-contract will continue for the next two seasons.

– My continuance depends upon how these years go. If I succeed, am happy and enjoy life like I do at the moment. If I feel that I can still win in the future, then I will continue for as long as Ferrari wants me. If I don't enjoy it enough, then I won't just continue because of doing something. Then it's better to do something completely different, Alonso summed up.

TESTING BAN A BIG SACRIFICE FOR FERRARI

When Michael Schumacher drove for Ferrari he could test whenever the car didn't function the way he wanted. Is Fernando Alonso envious of this testing freedom when the F10-car hasn't developed like expected?

– For sure. We would have the potential to test in the same way - we have the facilities, track and probably also budget but we just can't use them. It's a shame. The situation isn't fantastic but maybe it is needed when thinking about F1's future. Ferrari gave something to help teams in financial troubles but also lost something for sure, Alonso told Turun Sanomat.

Kimi Räikkönen hated simulators that the testing ban made them use. Alonso laughs when he hears that Kimi got seasick in the simulator.

– We do some work in simulators but I can't say more than that except that we take it so that 50% of the results from the simulators are correct and 50% needs to be checked. A simulator is a good tool but Ferrari's philosophy is that only a real car is a reality, Alonso says.

Source: HEIKKI KULTA - Turun Sanomat
Courtesy: Nicole

2 comments:

Juicetini said...

Where can i see this video???

Juicetini said...

Where can i see this video???